August 31, 2012

Sorta Fancy Fish Sticks


I never had fish sticks as a kid... that just wasn't my Mom's scene. We ate delicious broiled flounder and lots of shellfish and really didn't have too much of the ubiquitous-in-America frozen fish stick thing going on in our house. So, I don't even know things like is fish sticks supposed to be one word... Fishsticks??? Not sure. Anyway, I decided to try my hand at making my own fish sticks, and they turned out even better than I hoped. 

Here's my recipe for Sorta Fancy Fish Sticks


You'll need a couple of fish fillets (I used cod), whole wheat flour, 2 eggs, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs (I used Italian style), salt and pepper, a couple of lemon wedges and a dipping sauce. Some people make their own... I just used this delicious store bought Remoulade that I found downstairs in the Potomac Gourmet Market


First you preheat the oven to 425 degrees , then you cut your fillets into sticks... mine are about an inch and half thick.


Next, crack open the eggs and mix the whites and yolk together on a plate. Dredge each fish stick through the egg. On a separate plate, dust the fillet with a little whole wheat flour, then on a third plate, thoroughly cover the fish with a mixture of shredded parmesan cheese and flavored bread crumbs. Then put them in a pan and bake them for about 15 minutes.


Once they are nice and crispy, remove them from the oven, give them a healthy sprinkling of salt and pepper and squeeze a lemon wedge over them for some citrus-iness and serve them up. I put the sticks in my beloved ceramic cones and served them with a side of Remoulade for dipping, a  simple salad of chopped celery, grape tomatoes, and white onions with a vinaigrette, and some salty, buttery peas. The peas were frozen... unlike the fish sticks.


Yum!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!